Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dog wont play with me but will with others
06-02-2010, 02:53 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2010 03:42 PM by Eric.)
Dog wont play with me but will with others
I am fostering an APBT. Her name is Angel and she was rescued by recycledlove.org. She was used for breeding, rarely let outside, and barely fed. She was recued at 3 and is now 4 1/2. I have had her for 3 weeks consecutively now. I previously looked after her a week here, a week there starting back in November.

She is the sweetest dog I have known.
[attachment=13]

She is great with people, but not with other animals. I understand and accept that. She loves when strangers pat her and is very well behaved around children (as if she knows that they are a little bit more vulnerable). She doesnt tear up furniture, is very low key and loves to lay down at your feet. When she sleeps it is the sweetest thing. She curls up into a ball and goes right off.
[attachment=12]

When I come home from work after leaving her alone for 8 hours she is all excited and happy. She will lay in my lap, and head "dive" for my hand, panting and sniffing and reaching out with her paws.

I take her for a walk to a park (something she barely experienced prior to being rescued) and it appears that she absolutely loves it. We go into a fenced in field, I make sure there are no other dogs around, remove her leash and go running with her. You should see her go. We walk back home and she drinks some water and chills out;
[attachment=11]

Here is the one thing that I'd like to figure out. She wont play with toys with me. However she will play with toys with other people (mostly females). The second a person (even a stranger) picks up a toy and shakes it around her she will playfully grab the toy and engross herself in it (ie- for about 15 minutes she ripped apart a rope toy). A neighbor of mine picked one of her toys and she (the neighbor) and Angel immediately went to play with it. The neighbor went inside and I was able to play with Angel (tug-of-war with the rope toy). It is almost like she needs to be warmed up. When I try to initiate some play time with the toys she will just give it a sniff or two and either roll over or go off and lay down.

Now I know she isnt here to be my play toy. I am happy if she is happy. It is my desire to love her and find a loving and nurturing forever home for her. I would though, like to figure out this behavior. She loves playing with toys, but just not when I try to play with them with her.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2010, 03:41 PM
RE: Dong wont play with me but will with others
hmmm... very interesting...

First, I would like to thank you for helping in her rescue by Fostering her... It's a great feeling when they find their Forever Home...

I'll have to ponder this a bit, kind of weird and the only thing I can think of now is, is that she thinks the toys belong to you but if a stranger or somebody else, she thinks it's okay... I have to admit, I don't know maybe somebody else will have an idea or maybe I'll eventually think of something that makes sense... It's very interesting to say the least.

Respectfully,
x Eric Emminger
Founder/President of Pit Bull Happenings Rescue

We are a 501c3 Not-for-Profit Organization!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-03-2010, 09:48 AM
RE: Dong wont play with me but will with others
Thanks Eric for your reply.

Somebody else suggested that Angel probably sees me as the "alpha male". Don't know why that would be a reason for her not to play with toys with me though.
06-03-2010, 10:47 AM
RE: Dog wont play with me but will with others
Angel is beautiful. Try throwing a ball in your yard and see if she gets it and brings it back to you.
06-03-2010, 10:56 AM
(06-03-2010 10:47 AM)Michele Wrote:  Angel is beautiful. Try throwing a ball in your yard and see if she gets it and brings it back to you.

Thanks Michele. No, she won't. She will with other people.
If they throw it up in the air she will catch it. Heck even when they pick up the ball she will track it from the get go. When I pick up the ball she doesn't.
06-03-2010, 10:59 AM
That's so strange. Try giving Angel a treat while you have the toy. Associate a treat with a toy/playing. Make it a treat she cannot resist!
06-03-2010, 11:10 AM
(06-03-2010 10:59 AM)Michele Wrote:  That's so strange. Try giving Angel a treat while you have the toy. Associate a treat with a toy/playing. Make it a treat she cannot resist!

Isn't it strange! A kong stuffed with treats (that she loves) gets her to sniff it and lick it a few times but then she will either walk away and lay down or if I persist in trying to get her to play with it she will roll over. I'll try the association idea you suggested though.
06-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Is Angel the only dog in your house?

Respectfully,
x Eric Emminger

06-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Yes. She is not compatible with other animals.
06-03-2010, 11:45 AM
okay, I was going to ask if she was dog friendly too. I was just wondering because I have a multi-dog home (5 plus fosters) and mine are dog friendly for the most part and I know with mine I'm not able to play with just one if you know what I mean Lol

If you had another one I was going to suggest to use the other one as a way to get her more playful...

This is very bizarre in the least. I like Michele's suggestion of high value treats.

Respectfully,
x Eric Emminger

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Games People Play (With Their Dogs & Puppies) CGC Blog 0 551 05-04-2011 04:05 PM
Last Post: CGC Blog
  Games People Play (With Their Dogs & Puppies) CGC Blog 0 948 04-08-2011 05:03 AM
Last Post: CGC Blog
  Locks on to something and wont listen tmask 1 786 08-15-2010 07:08 AM
Last Post: Eric

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Mailing Address: 9602 US Hwy 19 #82, Port Richey, Florida 34668 | Phone: 727-247-6760 | Fax: 727-255-5445
General Email: Rescue@PitBullHappenings.com | Official Facebook Page | Official Twitter: @PBHRescue
501(c)(3) Not-for-Profit Organization | EIN: 27-4121738 | Florida License & Registration #CH37639 | Form 1023
Annual Information Filings (Form 990-N, Year Ending December 31): 2013 | 2012 | 2011
Site Map | T&C | Privacy Information | Contact Us | Pit Bull Happenings Rescue ©2013 | Return to Top | Return to Content | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication | Powered By MyBB
"Who teacheth us more than the beasts of the earth, and maketh us wiser than the fowls of heaven?" ~ Job 35:11
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." ~ Philippians 4:13
Trust in the Lord!